In 2011, Conti, et al wrote Self-Development for Cyber Warriors (screen shot above). You can download the full article at http://smallwarsjournal.com/sites/default/files/893-conti.pdf .
Although this is intended for current military personnel advancing in the US Cyber Command there are many good -- no, EXCELLENT -- ideas written down to guide someone to becoming a smarter and more valuable cyber security professional.
Some key elements of this 34-page document include:
- Key Categories of Cyber Expertise
- Professional Reading (Books, Sci-fi)
- Technology News, Magazines and Blogs
- Cyber Warfare Journal and Magazine Articles
- Doctrine and Policy
- Professional Societies and Local Gatherings
- Academic, Military, Government and Hacker Conferences
- Videos and Podcasts
- Training, Education, Certification and Self-Study