So, this is a trip report of sorts but I also thought his comments were "dead on" and I heartily endorse his opinions.
Characteristics of Today's Cyber Leader
- Curious and a life-learner
- Critical thinker
- Patient and able to influence
- Understand the value of the cybersecurity program
- Understand and can articulate the risks to revenue and sales enablement (It's the Money!)
- Works closely with IT audit and regulators
- Is in it for the PASSION
- Never lets a cybersecurity opportunity go to waste -- EVER!
- Tries to remain vendor agnostic
Talking to the Board of Directors
- Ensure the reports are in terms THEY understand. Not technical gobbly-gook.
- Be streamlined
- Quantify risk and loss exposure in dollars - not bits/bytes
- Provide specific recommendations for moving ahead and protecting the enterprise
- Emphasize the risk to revenue and risk to the brand -- not what the best firewall is
- Incorporate cybersecurity in all areas of your business -- from the individual employee to the CEO; from the mundane janitorial services to the strategic planning
- Be an enabler -- always consider risk to revenue and sales enablement
- Meet and know the CEO --- don't meet them for the first time during a data breach
- Understand and report to the business in "business terminology"
- Collaborate, Collaborate, Collaborate!